Re: A "hard line" on users placing files on debian's "turf"?

>From: mdw@CS.Cornell.EDU (Matt Welsh)
>Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:36:56 EDT
>Cc: mdw@sunsite.unc.edu, lark@conserv.org
>
>Debian should follow the FSSTND at least, and be able to cope with people
>installing their own binaries in common places such as /usr/bin, etc.
>If Debian won't permit people to easily build and install their own
>binaries in common directories on the system, then Debian is fundamentally
>broken. Don't be totalitarian; be flexible.

But won't it be best to install such things under the /usr/local tree?
If I am not mistaken, I believe that is what the debian development
team is encouraging people to do.  If you want to do otherwise, then
it might be best to include that package in the debian "family"?

Debian is far from broken.  In fact, it is the best (IMHO).

--
| James D. Freels, P.E., Ph.D.    | Phone:  (615) 576-8645     | L |