Re: Unanswered problem reports

(I'm not really here, but ...)

rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu writes ("Re: Unanswered problem reports"):
> I wonder if maybe these problem report lists could be made more useful
> to the individual maintainers?
>
> There's two things I'd like to see:
>
> (1) A way of assigning a bug report to some specific package, if the
> Package: field is blank.

Yes, this would be good.

> (2) A way of sending to the most recent package maintainer of each
> package with bugs a bug report summary specific to that package.

This too, but it requires a more up-to-date list of maintainers than
we currently have available.

Michael E. Deisher writes ("Re: Unanswered problem reports"):
> The current behavior is to use whatever text the bug submittor
> supplies.  If there is no such text the field is left blank.  Which
> brings us back to -- it would be nice if it were possible to annotate
> these fields (Package: Version:) after the orriginal bug report.

Yes.

Michael E. Deisher writes ("Re: Unanswered problem reports"):
> On Sat, 19 Aug 1995 15:34:28 -0400, rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu said:
> > The current behavior is to use whatever text the bug submittor
> > supplies.  If there is no such text the field is left blank.  Which
> > brings us back to -- it would be nice if it were possible to
> > annotate these fields (Package: Version:) after the orriginal bug
> > report.
>
> Perhaps the unclassified bug report should be closed, then re-opened
> with proper "Package" and "Version" fields.  The previous thread could
> be appended to the new report.  This seems a little ugly, though.  :-/

Yuk.  The correct solution is to have another mail address
(debian-bugs-bot@pixar.com or some such) which is a more traditional
mailserver, to which you can send messages to open, close and
reclassify reports.

Ian.

PS: Can people please not CC this thread to either of my personal
addresses ?  I expect to be running short of quota by the time I get
back, and having only one copy of everything that was sent to
debian-devel would be helpful.