Re: Backup package and dpkg (was Re: dpkg-disappear-replace.txt)

> From: Bill Mitchell <mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com>
> Subject: Re: Backup package and dpkg (was Re: dpkg-disappear-replace.txt)

> On Wed, 16 Aug 1995 rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu wrote:
>
> >[...]
> > Ian Jackson:
> >    Right.  This could be tricky, though: potentially it may be
> >    necessary to install first A version 1, then B, then A version 2,
> >    then C, or similarly horrible things, and it's not clear when you
> >    decide to throw out old data.
> >
> > Really? Can you describe the circumstances where this could occur?
>
> I hesitate to insert myself into this (really, I did hesitate), but:
>
>     dpkg --install textutils.deb
>     dpkg --install --force-conflicts elv-fmt.deb
>     dpkg --install textutils.deb
>
>     dpkg --install cpio.deb
>     dpkg --install mt-st.deb
>     dpkg --install textutils.deb
>
>     dpkg --install textutils.deb
>     dpkg --install elv-fmt.deb
>     dpkg --remove elv-fmt.deb
>
>     dpkg --install cpio.deb
>     dpkg --install mt-st.deb
>     dpkg --remove mt-st.deb

This is why I think that I would need dpkg to keep a log (in order) of
all installations and removals.

> And (and possibly not pertinent), from the "turf" thread I've
> just posted about:
>
>     dpkg --install fileutils.deb
>     cp ./ls /usr/bin/ls # spiffy -- user likes it better than ours
>
>     dpkg --install miscutils.deb
>     cp ./passwd /usr/bin/passwd  # installing shadow password suite

This sounds like an argument in favor of maintaining md5sum information
about every file installed by dpkg.  OTOH, perhaps I could simply compare
the date-stamp on each file against the time when I expect that it was
installed (possibly I get the range of times during which each package
was installed from the log mentioned above).  One way or the other, I
would need some additional information (beyond that which is currently
maintained).

--
   David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project:  Debian GNU/Linux (uucp)
   <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Wanted:  Spare time.