Re: Ode package: working on

On 05.10.2014 17:55, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> El Dissabte, 4 d'octubre de 2014, a les 23:51:04, Markus Koschany va escriure:
[...]
>> A SONAME change means changing the name of the binary package too. That
>> would require a transition for all reverse dependencies but the
>> timeframe for transitions is already closed for Jessie. Of course you
>> could upload a new version to experimental. About single- vs. double
>> precision: Your suggestion sounds reasonable but are there any r-deps
>> that still require the single-precision package? Why was this package
>> created in the first place?
>
> Well, I would like to upload to Jessie this version. I didn't known the
> question of transitions closed, but libode has this r-dependencies:
[...]
> if I ask to the maintainers and comment the situation and if they agree it
> could be possible to upload the new packages?

For what it's worth, the list of reverse dependencies is quite long and
I doubt that the release team will grant you an exception before the
freeze. But that's only my opinion. I suggest you contact the release
team at debian-release@lists.debian.org and ask them what they think
about your plans, expect a negative answer though.

[...]
>> dh-autoreconf is usually the preferred method when building packages
>> with autotools. I suggest to convert debian/rules to dh-sequencer and to
>> use the --with autoreconf option. I don't understand the last sentence.
>> Shouldn't dh_autoreconf_clean remove all files that are recreated during
>> the autoreconf step?
>
> No, maybe I have not been clear and probably it has been my fault. This is the
> problem:
> - Upstream release a sources with config.guess, configure, aclocal.m4,
> aclocal.m4, Makefile.in, etc files. T
>
> - I work on the package in a chroot with sid and I do a debuild. As rules
> regenerate this file, the original sources are different so it complains that I
> have a different version of sources. And the only difference is that the
> original ones are for instance:
>
> -[AM_AUTOMAKE_VERSION([1.14])dnl
> +[AM_AUTOMAKE_VERSION([1.14.1])dnl
>
>  dh $@ --with autoreconf
>
> is who do that. If you explain me another way to solve it, perfect.

Normally dh-autoreconf takes care of the changes during a rebuild and
restores everything. See man dh_autoreconf for more information. Hence
dpkg-source should usually not complain. You can also put this in
debian/source/options if you want to ignore changes to certain
autogenerated files. (man dpkg-source) e.g.

extend-diff-ignore = "(^|/)(config\.sub|config\.guess|Makefile)$"

Regards,

Markus