Re: Task "main" for Debian Games

Hi Markus,

I confirm that I subscribed this list now - there is no need to keep me
in CC any more.  :-)

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 03:06:49PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> The main task is not a superset of the other tasks. Ideally it would be.
> I have created the main task for testing purposes and because Paul Wise
> requested a metapackage last year that would pull in all games in main.
> I think this is a nice idea and convenient for users who want to quickly
> install all games with a simple command like
>
> apt-get install games-all
>
> I have created the main task file by filling it with the output of
>
> aptitude search '~sgames' -F %p

Ahh, OK.  I was not aware that some other input data were used for this
task.  So this is probably an interesting experiment.

> I think such a file would be easy to maintain and could be
> autogenerated. As you mentioned below there might be a better solution.
>
> At the moment the other task files are created with the debtags command
> line tool. This will give you all games tagged "toys" for example with:
>
> debtags search game::toys --names
>
> I intend to provide the missing debtags information (hopefully with a
> little help), so that in the future all games are tagged _and_ all task
> files generated by debtags provide in total the same games listed in the
> main (or contrib) task files.

I admit that this is an interesting experiment and I'm keen on seeing
how this might work out.

> However it would be great if we could get the sorting for free.
> Obviously the blends framework already separates packages by section
> within a task file and displays the output on the website. If the system
> can already separate packages by section, it will most likely be able to
> automatically create metapackages based on task dependencies and
> belonging of a package to main/contrib/non-free. (I guess that's what
> you are referring to in your last paragraph under point 3.

I'm not really sure what you mean be this.  From the web sentinel point
of view you get the separation between main and contrib/non-free ... it
seems your 'main' task does not fetch from contrib/non-free.  Otherwise
there would be such section.

>From the metapackages point of view the only packages in main will be
included as Recommends (to create policy conform packages).  This is
explained in detail in the docs.  If something might remain unclear feel
free to ask.

> >   3. I'm not convinced that a metapackage simply throwing in all and
> >      everything is what users really want.
>
> Well, I assume not many users want to have all games installed on their
> computer. But if we got metapackages for free simply by adding other
> meta-dependencies to them, then why not?

I will surely not veto your decision.  It is just something we did not
before and if you are aware about the potential issues I'm perfectly
fine with this.

> [...]
> >  While you can even now create a
> >
> >          Depends: <metapackage>
> >
> >      I also want to do some "resolution" of the content of these
> >      tasks for the web sentinel.  IMHO this would be a better approach
> >      to simply mention the single tasks in your "main" task ... in case
> >      you might really insist to keep this.
>
> I agree such an approach is preferable and I would definitely go for
> this one, if it already existed.

Now I just need to take a week of holidays to implement it. :-)

> > Hope I was able to provide some useful hints and thanks for your work on
> > Debian Games tasks.
>
> Thank you

Kind regards

      Andreas.