Re: Red Eclipse "missing sources"?

On Sat, 15. Dec 17:41 Vincent Cheng <vincentc1208@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> So in summary...contrary to what you'd expect, packages that are
> suitable for main is not defined by what's in the DFSG or Policy, but
> by 2 other things instead:
>  - how your sponsor DD defines "source"
>  - whether or not the ftpmasters find the above definition acceptable

I agree with you here and i also think that's the status quo at the
moment.

I always thought Red Reclipse was in non-free because of Red Eclipse's
mark license which had required to rename the game to Blue Eclipse or
something. Martin, perhaps you can write a short comment about it in the
copyright license and point out why you decided to move Red Eclipse to
non-free and what people have to do to make it acceptable for main?

> (I was going to include my own definition above, but then I realized
> that nobody would actually care, and I have better things to do than
> to rant about the status quo.)

I think we should be careful with claiming that people are not
interested in different opinions and why games are in the non-free
section. I bet there are a lot of people like me before who are lurking
in the shadows of the internet trying to find more information about
specific games in Debian and eventually find some pieces of information
here on this list. So every comment on topic is valuable, a source of
information for all people and it can also help to start a new
initiative or keep things alive.

Regards,

Markus (who is making popcorn now and eagerly awaits the rant to come)
;-)