Why is assaultcube in non-free?

Hi!

I was checking assaultcube, and it's not entirely clear to me why it's
currently in non-free instead of contrib, at least not from the source
code or the debian/copyright file.

I can see it for assaultcube-data, but not for the engine. The only
reference I can find is a comment from Gonéri in the initial ITP
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=435809#24>, which
after searching for that text pointed to
<http://assault.cubers.net/docs/README.html>. That text is not clear
about what constitutes a package, just the maps? or if it applies and
overrides the engine license when shipping it combined with the media?
what's combined in this case?

I've not filed a bug report because I'm not sure I'm missing something
obvious, the copyright file needs clarification, or the engine needs
to move to contrib.

If it's the latter then it might even be possible to move it to main
if there's free content available from <http://www.quadropolis.us/> or
<http://akimbo.in/>. But then I don't know if they are simply mods or
some provide all needed media.

Another possibility could be to package the cube engine standalone,
but I've not checked if they diverge too much (probably they do).

thanks,
guillem