Subject: Re: Boson with OpenAL Soft
Date: Friday 16 May 2008
From: Andreas Beckermann <b_mann@gmx.de>
To: Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com>

Hi

On Friday 09 May 2008, Andres Mejia wrote:
> > Hmm, it's kind of hard to tell without seeing the OpenAL calls. But if I
> > had to guess, I think perhaps it's trying to buffer Vorbis data directly.
> > Unfortunately, this won't work because OpenAL Soft doesn't support the
> > AL_EXT_vorbis extension. If it's indeed trying to load the Vorbis data
> > directly, it will need to be modified so it can decode it manually (using
> > libvorbisfile or some-such) before buffering it as PCM data.

Yep, this is most likely the reason for the problem: we use .ogg files
extensively and use OpenAL to load them.

btw: I think it really sucks that OpenAL Soft doesn't support that. OpenAL
itself has really, really bad support for it anyway (even including the
extension), which makes it very hard for smaller games to use OpenAL, at
least for me: I have pretty much exactly no experience in sound programming
and I really don't feel like browsing through dozens of (different!) APIs for
different file formats and so on.

Anyway, sound support in boson is currently in a very bad state anyway and I
am not going to work on it anytime soon.
I'd definitely be interested in a fix, if you can provide one, otherwise I'd
suggest to simply disable sound (i.e. make --nosound the default).
Of course, this is a somewhat evil hack, but may be preferred to rewriting
large parts of the sound handling.

CU
Andi

Andres