Re: [airstrike] airstrike Debian patches

Hi,

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 10:27:59PM +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On Saturday 03 May 2008, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you plan to make a new release soon? It has been quite a while since
> > > the last one.
> >
> > No, sorry. What we have in svn is more a tech demo than a game.
>
> Well, I don't think it's in such a bad shape.  The nature of the game
> has just changed somewhat.  Earlier it was just a bi-plane game,
> now it's more flexible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's in a bad shape, it's just missing
some parts that would make it a "game".

> If I remember the pre6a state correctly, the game gained these after that:
> - support for multiple levels
> - levels & objects can be scripted (have triggers and
>   triggers can be chained)
> - different airodynamic models for planes
> - player object separated from the plane (player could now in theory
>   move from a plane to e.g. dragon)
> - bonus objects
> - etc
>
> And has lost these:
> - menus
> - information on players (how many bombs their planes etc have)
>   - reason: player and plane are now separate
> - Computer AI
>   - reason: with more complex levels, old AI is in no way sufficient
>
> I think only first two would be really needed to have the game again usable
> as a multiplayer game.  If somebody would just have time for them, they
> shouldn't be that hard to do.

Those two and more polished levels.

> The AI would be much harder and IMHO could be skipped for next release if
> it ever happens.

The old AI is not even usable as a deathmatch opponent or nuisance when
trying to accomplish level goals since it can't keep the plane in the
air (or even take off).

Nevertheless a fun airstrike game could be built without the AI. Birds
and UFOs are annoying enough. ;)

> > Development is stalled since quite some time, I don't have much time to
> > spend on this project, IMHO the same applies to the other developers.
>
> Applies at least to me too...

This is the biggest problem, we are in need of a motivated developer
with enough time to spend on airstrike. ;)

Erik
--
The woman was carrying hand cream and matches but was not a terrorist threat[.]
                        -- a TSA spokesman