Re: Data files for a MMORPG

(Please do not CC me, I am subscribed)
Simon Ruggier wrote:
On 1/23/08, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:
Ivan Vucica wrote:
Should we be packaging several versions of tibia-data, one for each
supported and still widely used version of the client's protocol? For
example:
* tibia-data-7.92
* tibia-data-8.00
* tibia-data-8.10
et cetera. Or should we just create one package based on the latest
version of the official client, since the data files can also be placed
in ~/.yatc/ or even in current work directory, and thus if user needs a
different set (s)he can get the data separately?
Neither. I think you could install them side by side and have a tool that
allows you to choose the correct one. How, you ask?

Simple, provide each data set under its own: /usr/share/tibia-X.YZ and,
through the chooser (you can use debconf to select the default) you make
a /usr/share/yatc a symlink to the active data set.

Might as well put it in /etc/alternatives if you're going to do this, no?

I thought of that, but I wasn't aware you can use alternatives for directories,
too. I've just checked and, indeed is possible to use alternatives for that.

Here is how mplayer-skin-blue does it (its postinst):

#! /bin/sh -e

if [ "$1" = "configure" ] || [ "$1" = "abort-upgrade" ]; then
    update-alternatives --install //usr/share/mplayer/skins/default mplayer-skin /usr/share/mplayer/skins/blue 40.
fi

EddyP