Re: Data files for a MMORPG

On 1/23/08, Ivan Vucica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we be packaging several versions of tibia-data, one for each
> supported and still widely used version of the client's protocol? For
> example:
> * tibia-data-7.92
> * tibia-data-8.00
> * tibia-data-8.10
> et cetera. Or should we just create one package based on the latest
> version of the official client, since the data files can also be placed in
> ~/.yatc/ or even in current work directory, and thus if user needs a
> different set (s)he can get the data separately?

If it is possible to have separate packages, and you are willing to
put in the effort to implement that, it gives the users extra
functionality, so it's really up to whether or not you think it's
worth the effort having multiple versions of the data in separate
packages.

> Third, original company distributes a GNU/Linux version in a .tgz form. We
> work on one due to potential future license issues when used with
> OpenTibia as opposed to Tibia servers (which currently don't exist),  and
> due to technological deficiencies of the original client's GNU/Linux
> version (a 2d game unable to run without an advanced 3d accelerator?!)
>
> We could fetch the .tgz containing the data with wget and unpack them
> during .deb installation or dpkg-reconfigure. Is this a good practice with
> non-free data? Do other packages do such tricks?

flashplugin-nonfree does this, but it's a dirty hack.  I personally
prefer a package that generates and installs a non-redistributable
debian package on the user's system, but then it has to depend on
build-essential, etc., which makes it more of a pain for the user.

> Fourth, how would you propose to package the data? What does a typical
> data-only source package structure look like? Can someone send me a
> .tar.gz on my private mail of a sample package structure that would create
> a .deb out of some sample data files, e.g. "text1.txt" and "text2.txt"?

See the man page for dh_install.  You would make a file like
debian/foo-data.install and list the files in it like:
text*.txt usr/share/foo/

You would probably want to rename the files that have extensions on
the end unless they're necessary for the software to function (which
would be a bit of a wart).  For renaming, the only way to install is
in the rules file, where you might do something like
cp test1.txt $(DEB_DESTDIR)/usr/share/foo.

If you aren't using CDBS, I don't think DEB_DESTDIR is defined, but I
don't remember, so you might have to hardcode the path or something.

If you use CDBS, reading the manual is useful, it's at
file:///usr/share/doc/cdbs/cdbs-doc.html