Re: Possible Transition from SVN to Git?

On Dec 31, 2007 4:14 AM, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
>         Hi!
>
>  Even if this propably will be another mail from me that you simply
> ignore and don't feel the need to respond to, like with the problems of
> your BTS mails, I still think I should add some comments.

Well, I only recall what you wrote for bug #451669. If this is the
only one (I can't find other emails you directed toward me) I just
simply forgot.

> * Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> [2007-12-31 03:06:13 CET]:
> > I have used git-buildpackage and maintain a package that's maintained
> > at git.debian.org. I've seen the many advantages that git has over
> > SVN.
>
>  Like? If you claim that there are many advantages that git has over SVN
> it would be more than interesting to state them, otherwise such a claim
> goes to /dev/null.

OK fine. The advantages I pointed out and the statement above _WAS_ a
personal opinion.

>  I personally can't see much advantages in git over SVN, especially with
> that it's not that easy to get partial checkouts, that most people do
> put upstream sources into the git repository too out of "easiness" but
> which would explode our tree. git ist just yet another version control
> system, and your mentioning of the git-commit -a rings some alarm clocks
> on me: it effectively means that one would much more easily fumble and
> add backup files or whatsnot that don't belong in the repository.

Well I don't mean to say that we should now put the upstream source
into the repository. Also, with the git-commit -a, one should be
issuing a "debuild clean" or whatever to clean the package build and
also checking what they're committing. Nobody has to do a git-commit
-a anyway.

> How regularly do you rename files in the debian subdirectory anyway?

Not very many, still why can't I just rename a file with whatever tool
instead on relying on "svn mv", and not have to force a move, and not
be able to move it again because of a typo? I find this a annoyance.

> And in how many packages do you use different branches appart from trunk?

Me personally I don't use different branches for any packages.
However, I have thought about creating seperate branches for
maintaining experimental packages for stuff in upstream between
releases, upstream stuff like vegastrike which has been in development
but has not seen any new releases in five years. In git it's just
"git-checkout <some_branch>". Is it easier in SVN?

>  Personally I'm very cautious when following the latest hypes just for
> the sake of it. git is still young, it is in major development, and I'm
> not convinced yet that its current support and enthusiasm will be like
> that for the longer time.
>
>  So long,
> Rhonda

Well, I'm not saying we should all now switch to git. I just want to
know the thoughts of others here in regards to this.

Andres Mejia