Google SoC 2008 - we're in, mentors and students needed!

I've been notified that Debian has been accepted again as one of the
mentoring organisations for this year's Google Summer of Code[1].

According to the timeline[2] for this year's programme, we have a few
days to get set up and ready. Student applications will be accepted
between the 24th and 31st of March, but we're already being contacted
by students interested in working with us. That means that if you want
to get involved as a mentor or a student, you don't have very
long. We're also still actively looking for more project ideas - what
would you like somebody to work on?

If you'd like to mentor, you will need to register as such[3] and fill
in your profile, checking the Debian box in the list of orgs. Once
you've done that, the admins (me, Neil, Erich and Rudy) will be able
to approve you so you can be added into the official Debian mentors
list[4]. Also please add yourself to the Debian wiki page[5]. Please
add any specific ideas that you may have, or if you have nothing
specific then list the areas where you think you could mentor a
student. Existing Debian developers are preferred as mentors, as that
will make things easier on some fronts (e.g. sponsored package
uploads, data setup on Debian-hosted machines). But that's not a hard
and fast rule.

If you're a student hoping to work on Debian this summer in SoC,
please get in contact with us, either on the debian-soc mailing
list[6] or on IRC (irc.debian.org, #debian-soc) to talk about project
ideas, either what we already have listed or your own. It's in
everybody's interests to work on applications as much as possible
before the deadline closes to improve their chances of
acceptance. Ideally we want to encourage new blood to join in and
contribute, but we'll be happy to accept high quality applications
from anybody that meets Google's eligibility requirements.[7]

Good luck to all involved; I hope to hear from some of you soon!

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
[2] http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_timeline
[3] http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_step1.html
[4] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/debian/mentors.html