Survey on the use of Debian 2.2 (potato)

Debian Security Survey                                   joey@debian.org
http://www.debian.org/security/                           Martin Schulze
November 2nd, 2002                    http://www.debian.org/security/faq

I'd like to gather some information about what users and organisations
think about and expect from the Debian Security Team, hence, this survey.

Naturally, the Debian Security Team cannot support potato security
endlessly.  Therefore, we need to determine when we may stop providing
security updates for potato.

We do acknowledge that several organisations could not upgrade all of
their potato (Debian 2.2) systems to woody (Debian 3.0) immediately
after woody was released.

However, since potato contains old software and woody has improved and
more evolved versions of software packages, everybody still running
potato system should consider upgrading to woody soon.  Also, woody
probably contains more security updates than potato.

I would like to ask corporations that still use potato systems (please
note that woody was released about three months ago) how long they
plan to wait for the upgrade and how long they would like the Debian
Security Team to support potato security.

One of the reasons that the Debian project works so hard on providing
working upgrades is so that our users do not need to run outdated
software just to get stability.

If you are an organisation still running potato, please answer the
following questions:

1. How long do you plan to wait before you upgrade your potato
   machines to woody?

2. How long would you like to see the Debian Security Team support
   potato security?

3. How many potato machines do you still run in production?

Please send your replies to joey@debian.org.  I'm going to publish the
results of the survey which will probably affect future work of the
Debian Security Team as well, but I will not name the organisations
that replied to this survey, hence, anonymity is granted.

Thanks in advance,

	Joey
	also Debian Security Officer

PS: Forwarding this article to other media like LWN or Slashdot
    etc. is highly appreciated.

--
GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always."