Bits from the uw-imap maintainer

The latest version of the uw-imap packages (upstream version 2002RC7) are
going to make some significant changes so I want to make sure you all have
plenty of warning.  The affected packages are:

uw-imapd
ipopd
libc-client2002
libc-client2002-dev

Changes
=======

Now we have crypto in main, these packages will have SSL/TLS support.
The -ssl versions of these packages are just going to be dummies that will
upgrade you to the packages listed above which will ask you via debconf
which protocols you want to enable.

Following the upstream practice which is based on an IESG recommendation,
plaintext logins will be disabled on non-SSL/TLS connections.  If you
absolutely don't want to use SSL or TLS for some reason, your only
alternatives are to use CRAM-MD5 (See /usr/share/doc/libc-client2002/md5.txt)
or Kerberos or to recompile the package.

Which brings me to the next change; there is now kerberos authentication
support.

The tmail and dmail programs which used to be in uw-imapd/uw-imapd-ssl have
been moved into a new package uw-mailutils.  This also contains a program
called mailutil which is the upstream replacement for mbxcreat etc.

Help Wanted
===========

* If you are the maintainer of a Debian Package which depends on libc-client,
  or uses IMAP, please test to see if I haven't caused any breakage.

* Kerberos users, does the kerberos stuff actually work?

* I would like some people to document how to set up up TLS or SSL in popular
  IMAP clients (in particular: Outlook, Outlook Express, KMail, Mozilla Mail,
  fetchmail, and Mutt.)  I will include this indormation in a FAQ.

* ...any other documentation or packaging problems you notice.

Availability

Owing to the scope of the changes, I am not going to upload this oficially just
yet.  Instead please add the following apt sources:

(for woody)

deb http://people.debian.org/~jaldhar/imap-experimental woody/
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~jaldhar/imap-experimental woody/

(for sarge/sid)