Problem with ppp/sendmail

First of all let me say the maintainers of ppp resp. sendmail have done a
great job setting these packages up. I was able to remove all my self
written stuff for my mostly-not-connected machine.

However, I'm experiencing one problem. I usually have an empty
/etc/resolv.conf file when offline. Once I go online the ip-up.d script
restores this file for the correct provider (I use more than one). Calling
host for instance works well after the 0dns-up script has been run. But
sendmail refuses to connect to my smart relay host saying:

Oct 29 11:30:40 tanja sendmail[512]: JAA01466: LAD00512: DSN: Host unknown
(Name server: mail.ngi.de.: host not found)

Also wwwoffle isn't able to fetch a single page since it gets 'host unknown'
for every single one.

Both programs are newly started after /etc/resolv.conf was recreated.

If, however, I keep my online /etc/resolv.conf around all is well. So this
seems as if there is a caching mechanism involved. But where? And how do I
disable it? Keeping the online /etc/resolv around is not an option for me
since it simply is incorrect if I use another provider.

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!