libc6 problems (maybe)?

In trying to get OpenSSH working with debian and packaged, I've run
across the following problem:

The test program which follows:

#line 878 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char pwdb_new();
int main() {
pwdb_new()
; return 0; }

where confdefs.h contains:

#define HAVE_LIBCRYPTO 1
#define HAVE_LIBUTIL 1
#define HAVE_LIBZ 1

issues the following errors:

/usr/lib/libpwdb.so: undefined reference to `yp_master'
/usr/lib/libpwdb.so: undefined reference to `yp_get_default_domain'
/usr/lib/libpwdb.so: undefined reference to `yp_match'

When built with the following commandline:

gcc -o test test.c -lpwdb

now, yp_match, et al are defined in /usr/local/include/rpcsvc/ypclnt.h on
the following lines:

65 extern int yp_get_default_domain __P ((char **));
66 extern int yp_match __P ((__const char *, __const char *, __const char *,
72 extern int yp_master __P ((__const char *, __const char *, char **));

ypclnt.h is part of libc6-dev... so am I correct in assuming that libc.so
should contain these symbols?  If so, then why can't my test program make use
of them?

This is both on slink and potato.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams
himself your master."