potato bug

I did apt-get install enlightenment on a slink machine, and got:

+ echo dpkg version 1.4.1.17 or higher, which provides tar long filename support, is required to install this package
dpkg version 1.4.1.17 or higher, which provides tar long filename support, is required to install this package
+ exit 1
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/enlightenment_0.16.0-6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Of course, apt-get -f install won't work, and apt-get install dpkg won't work.

Anyone know how many packages are going to need a non-slink dpkg?  [Would
predepends work for this problem?]

I'd love to hear that this is a well known problem and that it won't be
a problem for slink->potato upgrades.  But I am concerned...

Thanks,

--
Raul