Re: Default language for system

Hi,

> > How can I set a LANG environment variable in postinst script?
> Change the value set in /etc/environment.  An example using sed(1):

I suspect such an approach can annoy users.
'LANG=pl' causes many softwares to output Polish messages, even if
the console (including terminal emulator in X and so on) does not allow
it.  Only a user who is sure that the console can display Polish
character set (ISO-8859-2, I guess) should set LANG variable.

For example, my ~/.bashrc has lines:

> if [ "$TERM" = "linux" -o "${TERM%-*}" = "xterm" ]
> then
>   export LANG=C
> else
>   export LANG=ja_JP.ujis
> fi

This setting is enough FOR ME but can be insufficient for other
Japanese speakers.  (This setting is done by 'user-ja' package.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/