demo vs. real package: FYI (was Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian)

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 11:23:36AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> show to people. If you would like to try out debconf, simply add this line
> to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>         deb http://va.debian.org/~joeyh/ debconf/
>
> There are a few packages in there modified to use debconf. Good examples
> include slrn, slrnpull, and sash. When you install these packages, they will
> use dialog (by default) to ask the questions they need to ask.

FYI, sash_3.3-5 (which has been sitting in Incoming for the last couple
weeks) no longer prompts at postinst time, as the postinst/prerm scripts
have been completely redesigned.

This simplifies a variety of installation issues.  And, given sash's
niche as a brute-force-simple program that's supposed to work under
very degraded conditions, I think that simple installation (and removal)
is important.

However, I'm very glad to see debconf, and hope to take a look at it soon.

--
Raul