Re: Debian Xconfigurator?

>   >I recommend a Matrox.  They've got superb framebuffer support since
>   >Petr Vandrovec (one of the main kernel fb people) is the driver author
>   >and maintainer.  They play nicely with the XF86_SVGA X server, so
>   >you're not forced to use the slower XF86_FBDev X server.
>
>   It is really not recommended to mix FB and a regular X server.
>
>The Matrox framebuffer driver is an exception.  Petr has gone to great
>effort to ensure that it is fully compatible with XF86_SVGA and stable
>when it is used.

I would not criticise his coding skills.  However the principle of FB is that
only the kernel performs certain operations such as changing video mode.  That
way the kernel always knows the mode the card is in and can always change it
back.  When you use a non-FB X server then you go against this principle and
break the guarantee that it would have offered you.

--
This is the noise that keeps me awake