Re: Unsupported Debian [was: Re: [New maintainer] Working for De

On Wednesday 4 August 1999, at 23 h 3, the keyboard of Alex Shnitman
<alexsh@hectic.net> wrote:

> > > http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/
> This is essentially creating a redhat-line rhcn.

Yes, but a successful one :-) (Eleven sources have been registered in one day,
while RedHat RHCN still languishes.) Most of the packages they announce are in
Debian's "main".

And do not mix RedHat RHCN <http://developer.redhat.com/rhcn/> with RedHat
"contrib" packages. The problem with RedHat is that almost all the contrib
packages are *not* in the RHCN.

> Which is not a whole
> lot better. And what is it for? Why should we do that, why can't
> people be accepted into the project? It worked in the past, what's
> different now?

I am pragmatic. Despite the FUD that Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho is spreading, admission of new maintainers *is* suspended. It is a fact. No more announces were made for a long time.

So, what can I do? I am not a leader, I have no hidden information. I am just a regular developer. So, I put my code where my mouth is and I write the "unofficial APT sources" application. Use it if you like.

At least, it will be organized, there will be a warning, etc. Otherwise, candidates, fed up with the waiting, and above all, the lack of feedback (delaying is understandable, blackholing is not), would set up such a thing, with less controls.