Re: unstrip, debug infos for packages

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 02:00:11PM +0200, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> The strip binray could be patched, so that it extracts the debug info
> and saves it into another file (<bin>.dbg or so). The striped binary
> and that debug info dogether could then be used to reconstruct the
> unstriped bins with an unstrip program. The debian packages would be
> left unchanged, but additionally for each package there could be a
> <package>-dbg.deb package that unstrips the relevant binaries during
> install.
>
> That way people needing the debug infos can download them and don't
> have to recompile the package themself.
>
> What do you think?

Splendid. Please write the patch for the strip program, write the unstrip
utility, and commit both to the binutils maintainer for inclusion after
thorough testing. Then write a policy proposal to create a new strip
section in the archive, and write appropriate sections for the packaging manual.

I think it is a good idea, but as long as the strip/unstrip stuff involved
is not developed, it is vapourware and there is hardly anything to discuss
on this list. When the technical functionality is there, I am happy to fight
for your proposal with hands and feet (I mean it!). I am also willing to
test your developments. Let me know as soon as you're ready.

Thanks,
Marcus