Re: MD5_CRYPT_ENAB in login.defs

Le 1999-07-27, Piotr Roszatycki écrivait :

> Why md5 algorithm isn't default for passwd?

This is not an option. There are plenty of machines out there
that need their passwd database to be compatible with other
UNIX hosts, eg because they are NIS servers. Breaking compatibility
is not an insignificant move! The world is not 100% Debian/Linux.

> I think it is more secure and hasn't 8 length limit.

Security is no excuse for breaking installations that work correctly.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG   <URL:http://web.fdn.fr/~tquinot/>