Re: I need help deciding what to do with Crafty

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 09:11:58PM -0500, Paul Serice wrote:
> Crafty has a new license (below) that everyone agrees takes it out of
> "free" where an older version currently resides.  I have had requests to
> upgrade the package.
>
> I guess I have the following options:
>
> 1) Do nothing.  Just keep maintaining the older version which is very
>    unlikely to be updated.
>
> 2) Keep the old version (which plays a pretty mean game) in "free" and
>    add a new package in "non-free" or "contrib".
>
> 3) Get rid of the old package altogether and just maintain the non-free
>    version.
>
> 4) Drop Crafty.
>
> Is there some way to get a consensus on what should be done?

You are the package maintainer, so your is the final decision, but this is
my hint: keep the old free version of crafty for some months. Do not create
a non free version of it. If the package stay non free drop it; but before
of that, let be sure the upstream maintainer know about your concerns.
If you are sure that the upstream maintainer is determined to not change the
license, you can drop the package now.

> Thanks,
> Paul Serice

> *                                                                             *
> *  Crafty, copyright 1996-1999 by Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D., Associate Professor *
> *  of Computer and Information Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham. *
> *                                                                             *
> *  All rights reserved.  No part of this program may be reproduced in any     *
> *  form or by any means, for other than your personal use, without the        *
> *  express written permission of the author.  This program may not be used in *
> *  whole, nor in part, to enter any computer chess competition without        *
> *  written permission from the author.  Such permission will include the      *
> *  requirement that the program be entered under the name "Crafty" so that    *
> *  the program's ancestry will be known.                                      *

You cannot redistribute this package, not even in not free (put it in a ftp
server is not personal use), so the problem about a non free version is
resolved.

[snipped]