Re: Policy for default mount points?

On 22-Jul-99, 20:43 (CDT), Matthew Gregan <kinetik@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 02:48:43PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
>
> > Why not /var/lib/psion/mnt
>
> >From what I understand of the FHS 2.0, we shouldn't use /var/lib, and
> should probably use /var/state in place of it.

Ackk. No. /var/state is going away in FHS 2.1, as it's purpose is
included in /var/lib. (I think the reason is that although /var/state
is was a nice seperation of function, and /var/lib (along with
/usr/lib/...) has long been a kludgy mishmash of stuff, actually
transitioning an existing system from /var/lib to /var/state is a
painful, dangerous process, and really only of aethetic value.)

Back to the original question, I'm not actually sure. I assume that the
psion directory is something that users can read directly (i.e. cat
/psion/somefile works), which makes me uncomfortable with putting it
under /var. I'll also note that the AFS people have no problem create
/afs, although the FHS pretty much forbids it. I think this worth
bringing up on the FHS mailling list.

sg