Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

*Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
>  : > The distinction is being made so that people can see where the software
>  : > is coming from, and choose to avoid the non-free stuff if that's what
>  : > they want to do.
>  :
>  : Nobody, neither Wichert in its original proposal, or you in this message,
>  : explained why nonfree.debian.org/net/qmail is clearer than
>  : www.debian.org/non-free/net/qmail...
>
> Since it will require a seperate line in /etc/apt/sources.list, I think
> the distinction will be quite clear.

	It already requires an extra word in sources.list.  Does moving the
word to a line of its own improve things?; is it worth all of the effort ?
	Besides, there can be tools down the road that ping mirrors and find
non-free mirrors and download from all of them transparantly.
	Also, I suppose a reasonable fraction of users get packages from
mirror sites.  They are not going to use two host names.  They will either
put everything together or leave non-free out entirely.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org