Re: copyright must be written in English?

Ryuichi Arafune <arafune@debian.or.jp> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have one question.
>
> copyright must be written in English?
> if the answer is "yes", why?
>
> It may be necessory to request an upstream author to write copyright
> in English may be neseccesory for many non-Japanese Debian-user.
>
> But on leagal, the translated copyright has no force, I belive.
>
> I think it is enough to write  such a way:
>
>   "This program copyright is written in Japanese.
>    And the copyright permits to distribute this
>    program as a "main"
> 	        "contrib"
> 	        "non-free" "
>
> in README.Debian
>
> Please comment.

I would like a translation of the copyright, esspecially when its not
in main. Maybe I`m not allowed to use the software for the useage I
intend, because of the copyright and since I don`t know any japanese I
would break the law without knowing, which doesn`t save me from
punishment. The translated copyright should state that its a
translation and that the authoritive document is the original one, in
case the translation is unclear or partly wrong, but most of the time
people only need a rough sketch of what the copyright says.

MfG,
	Goswin