Re: Niced cron jobs

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 10:46:26PM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 01:56:11PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
> > Haven't heard anything about this in a while, so I'm checking up on
> > how it's going...
> >
> > To reiterate, the plan is to nice cron jobs, so that when anacron or
> > similar programs run, they don't slow down the system too awfully
> > much.  The only negative brought up was that Debian shouldn't be
> > futzing with the defaults, which doesn't really seem to hold water,
> > because Debian does this all over the place (ipfwadm rules in the
> > networking scripts, for instance).
>
> I'm full in favor of the idea. I think it is so reasonable that it should be
> default from the beginning. I followed the thread, too, and I couldn't see a
> single *real* reason against it. If anybody has any technical reason why any
> user would not want to have the cron-jobs run niced, please speak up.

Has anyone made a formal proposal of this? If not, it was never really
considered by the Debian democratic process. I'd be willing to write
something up, if someone will let me know that it hasn't already been done.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.