Re: Esound and x11amp

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:56:33PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> On debian-devel, Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr> wrote:
> >|It should be loaded at startup from `/etc/init.d/esd start' like all the other
> >|daemons. ALL sound related programs in debian should use esd. The binary sound
> >|producing apps that have no support for esd should be replaced with shell
> >|scripts that run `esdctl off', run the program, then run `esdctl on'.
> >
> > Who made this decision?
>
> It was just my opinion have how it should be done. This is not how it is
> implemented currently. Maybe I was not being very clear.
As useful as ESD can be, I don't think that all sound applications should use it.
Those who choose to use it, fine.  But esd still sucks up CPU in mixing, and
adds overhead if all you want to do is play one thing at a time.

--
Brian Almeida <balmeida@cicat.com>  -  Systems Administrator
CICAT Networks - The New Brand of Telecommunications Service