Re: newbie comments on editor choice

[k3wl, someone just started an editor d*cksize flamewar]

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

> documentation or prompting to help me out.  I mean, geez, a whole 10
> keyrstrokes in joe.  Wait, that makes me wonder, the way I'd to it in vi.
>
> <ESC>:%s/\n\n/\n/
>
>     12 keystrokes.  Hmmm, but I might be doing that wrong, I'm sure there is
> a better way.

<ESC>:/^$/d

7 keystrokes.  6 if you're already in command mode.  Ex(1) rules.

This illustrates one of the nice features of vi: you actually get two
editors in one.  Even with emacs(6) you only get one! :-)

That's right, if you want to learn vi, you have to learn ex too.  In fact,
you really should learn ed(1) first.  Especially newbies <grin>.

For a great tutorial on ed, locate(1) the file "JOKES" on your system.

Cheers,

Joost