Re: [ITP/mostly packaged] hftpd

ron@microtronics.com.au (Ron) writes:

> I tend to use make-kpkg if I'm building a kernel to use on a different
> machine than the one I'm building it on, but otherwise I usually dont.
> Kernel packages are handy if you wish to intstall the same kernel image
> on multiple machines, but since all my machines have different hardware
> in them I usually do a custom build for each.  For machines I keep
> kernel source on, I'm usually happy to build a zImage without the
> overhead of packaging it and its modules too..

Except then reverting to the old kernel is a bigger PITA than it is if
you just happen have the old .deb lying around, especially if it's
multiple compiles of the same kernel version.

> My view is that if a package requires a certain kernel version, then
> say so clearly in it's description.  If people choose to ignore that,
> well.. caveat emptor...

That's often too hidden.  If some packge depends on a second package
that depends on a specific kernel version and a user selects that
package, they could easily pull in the one that depends on the kernel
version without ever seeing (or paying much attention to) the
description.  This is particularly true when using apt-get.