Debian, money, marketing

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 05:07:25PM +0930, Ron wrote:

> Hmm..  I'd have said full time QA staff.  If we are gonna have hired
> guns, let em blast at the bugs, then we *all* get value for our
> money...

Yeah, it's probably more worth it to have hired people do the 'boring'
stuff that people are less likely to volunteer for.  Marketing should
be left to anyone who could actually make some money from it...

> ..and the PR stuff almost looks after itself if every user is a
> happy user;-)

Not really, but for our purposes, that is good enough.  For a big
company, they need to get their name stamped in your brain, so that
when you go to the store to buy a foobar, you buy *their* foobar.

You would be really surprised how many people have never even heard of
Debian.  Unfortunately, the populace at large is not perfectly
informed about everything.  This is where marketing comes in - yes,
it's not a nice situation in some ways, but neither are a lot of other
realities.  Because they don't have all the information, you need to
do your best to supply it to them, and to put a good spin on the
information (although if you outry lie, it will probably have negative
consequences in the long term..).

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            <   Sors immanis - et inanis - rota tu volubilis,
davidw@prosa.it            >  status malus - vana salus - semper dissolubilis,