Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

Sorry it took me so long to reply, life decided to give me my yearly
supply of 'fun' in a small amount of time, and I had deleted the
message I was replying to..

I'm also sorry about how I jumped, I over reacted a bit, as I said, this
has been a very interesting week...

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 07:51:31AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Mon, May 10, 1999 at 07:12:55PM -0400, Zephaniah E. Hull écrivait:
> > I highly question your ability to fill this role as it is quite clear
> > that you have not been following the perl5.005 stuff, specificly the
> > debian-perl list and the massages on -devel before -perl existed about
> > how to attack it..
>
> I've read everything, I'm subscribed to -perl. I know that Darren is
> working hard on the perl package.
>
> What do you have against me ? I'm ready for helping and you criticize
> me. If you want to do the job, it's ok for me.
>
> > The current plan cleanly addresses the case of things ending up broken,
> > and the perl maintainer is a bit busy but spending his time working on
> > it instead of jumping up every thread where incorrect info is mentioned.
>
> What was wrong in the message you're replying to ?

Specificly the path issues and the mention of the bug reports..

(From the message I replied to in the first place)
> Many of them were only paths problems (that may not appear with the
> official perl5.005 package). And I've already filled some bugs against
> netbase and netstd so that the packages do not break when perl5.005 is
> uploaded.

This gives the impression that you are quite unaware that perl5.005
should have little to no effect on ANY packages which are currently in
use, as perl5.004 will continue to be used by things..

(There are a few minor issues which still need to be worked out, for
instance perl-base and deciding which perl will become essential,
however the basic upgrade path is that NOTHING breaks as perl5.004
continues to be used by things)

As far as the coordinator position, I don't think I'm up to keeping
track of everything, but I would definitely like to stay just a little
off to the side of the middle...

Once again, sorry for snapping at you, hopefully I'll still be living
here tomorrow, and be in a state to do anything..... (Don't ask, unless
you really want a nice long rant about things)

Zephaniah E. Hull..

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801
    Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.