Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

Hi, everyone.
I've successfully built most of Gnome on a stock Slink system.
Three cheers for the Gnome project and the packaging team!

On 12 May 1999 15:41:04 +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote :
> BTW: compiling gnome is a pain. We _need_ source dependencies
Hear, hear.

Just for flavour, the gotchas I've found include:
- Need to upgrade autoconf, automake, libtool and debhelper
- Make sure libjpeg62-dev and not libjpeg6a-dev is installed, or
  Imlib builds linked against both, and weird stuff happens.
- There are a number of minor build breaks or hassles which I
  don't have time to reproduce and document.  An autobuilder would
  have a lot of trouble just right now.  Eg. bug #37226 and more.

I think Debian should have high quality Slink gnome binaries, because
not everyone can afford to run unstable and building from source is
quite a lot of work.  Also, Redhat have this shipped :-)

Good luck,

Gordon

<Musing>
Building Gnome is pretty mind-blowing:  tens of megabytes of code
and data wrapped in two-million, five hundred thousand tonnes of
spinning build-script...

PS: Can debian-gtk-gnome be web-archived?

--
    We knew we were in trouble when we needed the
    seventh power-board for the coffee machines.