Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Previously Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> > Do I have access to the net within that environment? I just have some
> > pre-release slink CDs, so I have to upgrade to the current point
> > release by ftp (by an ISDN line - it is accessed like a NIC).

> Sure. You are just using the same system, only the root of the filesystem
> is changed for processes running in the chroot-environment.

> > Do I have access to $DISPLAY somehow and can I use startx, so I can
> > test X packages directly?

> If you use localhost:0.0 you can use the same display (note that :0.0
> doesn't work since the X-socket is in a location the chroot-environment
> cannot access). If you want to do startx you have to use a different
> display since X is already running.

You also have to mount a seperate copy of proc in the chrooted
environment.  Be careful of pre/post install scripts they may stop
daemons and restart them in the chrooted environment. (I usually run
all the inetd stuff in one environment and ssh in the other, so normal
users can easily access it.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu