Re: Install-time byte-compiling: Why bother?

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 02:31:39PM +0100, rjk@greenend.org.uk wrote:

> On another machine, this a 300Mhz K6-2, I invoked W3 in Xemacs20
> (using lisp interaction mode to eliminate the wait for the user to
> enter a URL).  In this case it was 10 seconds for .elc files, 15
> seconds if it had to byte-compile the .el files themselves.  This was

Interesting! Where did you get that version of Xemacs? My xemacs does not
byte-compile the .el-Files on loading (that would take REALLY long) but
instead slows down a bit.

I don't think it's valid to compare times for LOADING the files. It's quite
simple to load the .el-Files. Try to run some lisp code doing heavy stuff -
e.g. opening a 200k html file with w3.

cu
    Torsten