Re: xfonts-package-name

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 08:33:39PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> I maintain package xfonts-latin2-biznet.
> I think about change of package name. Maybe xfonts-biznet-iso8859-2 will be
> better?
>
> My proposition for any font package:
>
> What about font package names? There is a lot of different
> fonts and good scheme would be helpful.

At some point this will need to become a policy proposal, so I am CC'ing
this to and redirecting followups to debian-policy.  Let's try and move the
discussion there.

In the meantime, permit me, if I may, to refine your idea somewhat.

First, I ask that the fonts that ship with the X Window System itself be
grandfathered; I already renamed them once.  :)

Having said that, I suggest:

xfonts-<producer>-<encoding>

Producer is, as you said, whatever person or group authored or canonically
distributes the fonts.

Encoding is more general than a codepage.  Strictly speaking, ISO-8859-2
isn't a codepage at all.  If you have an upstream font collection with
multiple encodings, they should probably be broken up by encoding.  I
expect most fonts are designed with a particular encoding as a target, but
I'd like to hear some feedback on this.

Size should be optional, or perhaps we should consider dropping it
altogether.  After all, in all likelihood it's going to be one of the
following:
  1) 75dpi
  2) 100dpi
  3) scalable

I don't think anybody bothers to produce BDF fonts that aren't either 75dpi
or 100dpi, unless they're character cell fonts destined for an xterm
anyway.  I think it would kind of belabor the point to add:
  4) charcell
or something like that, so let's consider omitting the size/resolution from
the package name altogether.

Things like resolution, scalability, and font format (BDF, Type1, Speedo,
TrueType, etc.) should, in my opinion, be discussied in the package
description.  I'd appreciate feedback on this point as well.

As it stands, renaming packages is an onerous business.  It might be best
to table this until we have a mechanism for better handling of renamed
packages.

I do think we should go ahead and get some policy in place, however, for
font packages that are packaged in the future.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    Damnit, we're all going to die; let's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    die doing something *useful*!