Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:48:16 +0400 (MSD)
> From: Victor B Wagner <vitus@ice.ru>
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:
>
> > Removing bash is almost impossible.
> >
> > But our friend mispoke.  Everything he wants to do works in simple bourne
> > script.  No need for bashisms.
> >
> > However, I would like some explanation of why it is felt that change is needed.
>

> > In my networks at school and work no change has been needed.  my laptop is
> > also happy.
>
> There are seldom multihomed laptops.
> But, if you'll have machine with three ethernet cards you'll soon
> start to feel that something is missing from /etc/init.d/network

I run  a debian router with 12 eth devices.

no problem.

If I need to down a card I do an ifconfig eth? down (where ? == card number)

if I need to bring it back up I just re-run /etc/init.d/network.

If I need to test the configuration I just run /etc/init.d/network and if it
throws an error or yells I fix it.

Also if you're multihoming my feeling is you damn well better know how to
deal with ifconfig in the raw or your problems are just beginning.

One of the reasons I use debian is b/c I don't have to sift through all the
propietary scripting ideas that some person at redhat decided on.

I think new network scripts should have a divert and allow the old simple
ones as the default.

-sv