Stupid Question Regarding init.d scripts and start-stop-daemon

I'm having new behavior under potato-ish systems that seems to break
omniorb.

I have a script in init.d that uses start-stop-daemon to activate the
omniorb nameservice.  This seems to work fine, and if I grep ps I can find
the nameservice running as expected.

Unfortunately, applications can't connect to the nameservice.

If I run the nameservice from the command line as root, it functions
properly.

Is there anything different about the environment at the time the
/etc/init.d scripts are activated?  The existing configuration used to work
properly...

Thanks,

-Brent