Re: Intent to adopt: info

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 10:35:45AM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > > Have a new program, say "info-browser",
>
> I'd like to change the name suggestion to "sensible-info-browser".
>
> > It's the best idea so far, but in which package shall we put it?
>
> debianutils, which currently already contains "sensible-pager" and
> "sensible-editor", and is Essential: Yes, so it's available on all systems.

Ah, good. I read /usr/bin/sensible-*, and this would be my proposal:

#!/bin/bash
shopt -s execfail
exec ${INFOBROWSER:-infobrowser}} "$@"
exec info "$@"
exec pinfo "$@"
echo "Couldn't find an info browser!" 1>&2
echo "Set the \$INFOBROWSER environment variable to your desired info browser." 1>&2
exit 1

It also means we have to use update-alternatives to register
/usr/bin/infobrowser (plus slave manpage links), like this in postinst:

update-alternatives --quiet --install /usr/bin/infobrowser infobrowser \
 /usr/bin/info 100 --slave /usr/man/man1/infobrowser.1.gz infobrowser.1.gz \
 /usr/man/man1/info.1.gz

Is this enough, and is it appropriate to all those emacsen?