Re: RFC: Backup of system data

In foo.debian-devel, you wrote:
> inspired by a mail in debian-user-de, I think you should implement a
> system to ease the backup of important system data.
>
> [snip]
>
> What do you think? Is it worth it? Any seconders? Should this be taken
> to debian-policy?

Seconded.
If we have to change policy to have each package maintainer keep a list
of files that need backing up within that package, it might also be
useful to (at the same time) create a policy for a list of packages
that may be created by the program, but do not exist in the dpkg database
(similar to the cruft program).  The purpose would be to be able to
identify files that exist on a system, but do not belong to a particular
package.

This would not affect most developers.  The combined proposal would
only require that developers create a list of files (or wildcards)
for the following:
1) Configuration files or files that need backing up that do not
   reside under the /etc directory
2) Files belonging to the package that are created dynamically, and
   therefore do not exist in the dpkg database.

Implementing this would give Debian sysadmins superhuman powers of
administration and control.

-Mitch