Re: Intent to package xmemos

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 03:10:27PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> "Darren O. Benham" wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 10:42:18AM +0300, KELEMEN Peter wrote:
> > > XWatch is a similar program.  In Debian version 2.10-3 (potato),
> > > /usr/doc/xwatch/xwatch.README says:
> >
> > XWatch should not be in there.  It is possible for things to slip by...
>
> I maintain XWatch.  `XWatch should not be in there' is your
> opinion only. XWatch is using the GPL just as Lyx is. XWatch was
> written from the beginning to run on libforms.  Since this thread
> has resulted in an _important_ bug against xwatch and none
> against Lyx, I don't see why what's okay for Lyx isn't okay for
> other smaller and less important packages.
The most recent version of Lyx had a license change (I am told) for the
very same reason.

The end result -- if the program I tried to upload (which is GPL but the
original author linked to xforms could not go in, then I don't see why
xwatch should be allowed to be in.. atleast w/o modifing the license.  I
could have gotten my program in by placing it under the BSD or modifying
the GPL (it was given to me by the upstream author so I had that right) but
I since lost interest in it.

> See the current Lyx license:
I'm told this isn't current.