Re: Debian/BSD

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 01:08:40PM -0600, David Welton wrote:
> Here's an idea for those of you interested in running Debian on a BSD
> kernel:
>
> Use the apple kernel, *if and when* they get the license sorted out!

I was going to suggest at some point a Debian GNU/darwin given licenses
get worked out.  This project would not be one I could work on for the
moment because I don't have a PPC and I don't expect an i386 port
overnight.

> It's based on NetBSD (and, "surprisingly", NetBSD has't sabotoged
> anything, to the detriment of the paranoid conspiracy theories), and
> the mach microkernel, so it ought to be reasonably portable..
>
> The other advantage to using a standard BSD is that, since their
> userland is intentionally not complete, we don't risk fanning those
> flames, *and*, it puts pressure on apple to open source more of their
> stuff!

Indeed there is that, plus the darwin gui elements are pretty interesting
I'm told..  All in all there are half a dozen GREAT projects that can
come from this thing IFF the license issues get settled.

<Culus> Ben: Do you solumly swear to read you debian email once a day and
        do not permit people to think you are MIA?
<Ben> Culus: i do so swear