Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 12:50:50AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Let's do something more general - create a whole new section in range of
> > main, contrib and non-free - called data. In it we can have subsections
> > like 'earth', 'space', 'roadmaps', 'books', 'encyclopaedia' etc.
> > That way we don't add one more >50MB section in binary-$ARCH (we already
> > have devel which really piss some people off), and enable ourselves
                               ^^^ oops, should have been 'pisses' :)
> > better distinction between types of data.
>
> Perhaps what we need to do is what Christian Schwarz suggested ages ago;
> have a core system, and various add-on discs (like one for multimedia,
> one for science, etc).

The problem is that our sound section contains only five (5) MB of
packages. It would say it would be downright outrageous if someone
distributed only that on one CD :)

However, if you mean multimedia as in WAVs, MP3s, VOCs and stuff
like that, it can still go under data/{speeches,pop-music,tones} etc.
After we establish a data section then we can think of dividing it
properly to put it on selected number of CDs (or DVDs while we're
at it).

> I've found the best way to deal with Debian on multiple CDs is
> to use multiple CD-ROM drives with apt. Works nicely, but I don't suppose
> most people have multiple drives easily accessible for this.

Indeed. (BTW I'll have to try installing slink with three CD-ROM
drives in the bay at once ;)