Re: Device detection? [Summary]

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 11:37:29AM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > This matters to a Linux (only) user why?
> >
> > Note that there are for some of the PCI cards DOS TSRs that do the same
> > thing.
>
> You do not need a TSR. Just write a small program which detects the irqs and
> dma-channels of the card and sets the BLASTER environment variable
> accordingly.

Does not work on a PCI card unless your BIOS is virtualizing the ports
and IRQs..  (which does happen actually)  The TSR idea was something I
came up with because I didn't consider that the PCI BIOS has legacy
support.

<jim> Lemme make sure I'm not wasting time here... bcwhite will remove
      pkgs that havent been fixed that have outstanding bugs of severity
      "important".  True or false?
<JHM> jim: "important" or higher.  True.
<jim> Then we're about to lose ftp.debian.org and dpkg :)
* netgod will miss dpkg -- it was occasionally useful
<Joey> We still have rpm....