Re: GNOME universe

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Montreal Tue Mar 16 03:36:37 1999
>
> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > FWIW, /usr/local/etc makes some sense, and I can see why people use it.
> > Therefore, when you ./configure --prefix=/usr you have to remember to
> > --sysconfdir=/etc.
>
> Why not --sysconfdir=/etc/gnome ?

Why not put all applications linked to Xaw in /etc/xaw?  Why not put all
perl based applications in /etc/perl?  Why not...

Because we have a file hierarchy specification, and we attempt to conform
to it.

You are correct to observer a few namespace collisions in GNOME - however,
as distribution maintainers, we deal with these as they appear.

I don't think gnome is wrong to use /etc/CORBA, for example - any other
applications can put their CORBA stuff in the same directory - makes sense
to me.

Jules