Re: another glibc2.1 casualty (write)

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 05:24:00PM -0700, Ivan E.Moore II wrote:
> Cannot open hash database /etc/aliases.db: Invalid argument
> WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/aliases
> Cannot create database for alias file /etc/aliases

This is no doubt due to the db to db2 upgrade in glibc 2.1. Funny
though since db1 databases are supposed to work with db2 (or is that
db1 programs are supposed to work with libdb2?).

Anyway, I face the same problem when I have to take slapd from openldap
to the new glibc 2.1 (only on i386) since the old databases will be
unusable. OpenLDAP comes with a conversion tool to send it to text
output then I can read it back into the system.

You should be able to just do a `newaliases' and have the db rebuilt,
might have to remove the old /etc/aliases.db, but it should work.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation