Intent to package: gdm, the GNOME Display Manager

[ first package; tell me if I've strayed from the True Path ]

gdm is the equivalent of xdm/wdm, but using the GNOME libraries to
provide a greeter/login window. It is a complete rewrite, not based on
X Consortium code.

copyright: GPL

availability: GNOME CVS

info:

I've got this basically working from a .deb package- there's a problem
with rxvt/gnome-terminal windows not closing that only happens in gdm
sessions and not wdm sessions that I have to track down, once I've got
the latest libs to test it with.

gdm wants to run the greeter/login window as an unprivileged user,
since the GNOME libraries aren't known to be secure (:}). The .rpm
distribution simply runs as gdm.gdm, and creates uid/gid 42, but I
think this is ugly.

I see two alternatives: 1) create a gdm.gdm pair in the system uid/gid
range (adduser --system --group gdm on postinst) or 2) use existing
static Debian uid/gid.

I've currently set it to use nobody.daemon- this seems to work for me,
is it OK with everyone else?

gdm will go in the GNOME staging area before being released into
unstable.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      http://www.arise.demon.co.uk/      steve@arise.demon.co.uk