Re: Missing ldd? Have libc6 on hold? Get ldso from slink...

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 11:36:08PM -0600, Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:
>   JC> Fair warning WAS given.
>
> Depends on what you consider "fair warning". There was discussion of
> potato containing glibc2.1 but no flag that it was happening, and if
> you're paranoid hold off a bit. It was also stated in the debian-devel
> discussion that the upgrade would not break any binaries compiled with
> glibc2.0, which has shown to be false, and is even documented in the
> FAQ shipped with the new libc package. The breakages so far are
> mostly minor, depending on what's relevant to you. I'm just saying it
> could have been handled more gracefully.

I think it was handled as gracefully as reasonably possible.  There was
advanced notice.  As advanced as 2 months before it happened and as near
as 2 days just to remind people that it was actually going to happen just
after slink's release.

I never once heard "nothing will break".  I heard many times "the only
stuff that is likely to break seriously is stuff linked with libstdc++"
which was mostly true.  Small things breaking (and that's all that has
broken--small things) is part of software development.  It was not
totally unforseen but the only way to really find out what breaks is to
just upgrade and see.

<Culus> "Hello?"  "Hi baybee"  "Are you Johnie Ingram?"  "For you I'll be
        anyone" "Ermm.. Do you sell slink CD's?" "I love slinkies"